Do I need a WordPress security plugin? What are the best WordPress security plugins? Let’s take a look at some of the best WordPress plugins that will help to keep your site secure.
WordPress is one of the most preferred content management systems for bloggers and website owners. According to a Forbes report in 2016, almost 75 million websites were built on WordPress. The number has increased in the past few years. However, the prominence and success of WordPress do draw in more attacks by cybercriminals. There are many attackers today who plant unethical attacks on WordPress websites.
Do you have a WordPress website? If yes, chances are your site might get exposed to some risk. The typical cyber-attack today comprises of the outdated plugins, brute force attacks, unsecured hosting, and downloads from questionable sources. You also have the strategies to keep your WordPress site secure. For this, you might have to keep plugins and themes updated, resort to a safe WordPress hosting, use a stable and secure password and username, managing daily backups, and installing security plugins from verified sources. To know more about this, you can check out Big Drop Inc.
What Are the Best WordPress Security Plugins?
WordPress was established in a safe framework. Hence, web designers and individual users must opt-in for the required precautionary steps for enhancing site security. For this, you can count on some of the best WordPress security plugins that are designed especially for 2020.
1. Sucuri – Must Have for WP Site Security
You can access both the free and premium versions of this plugin! Sucuri security plugin has all the essential aspects comprising malware scanning, security strengthening, and auditing. There’s a professional team at work that provides unparallel services in terms of security. Some of the core features of this tool that you can count on are:
- The Security Activity Audit Logging helps web designers, website owners, and other users to assess a few changes inside the site.
- The File Integrity Monitoring helps users to compare their site’s current security state with an ideal state. It helps users know the security strategies they must implement to reach the perfect state.
- Users have access to a remote malware scanning system that helps to recognize all the core issues related to website security.
Is your website presently listed under the blacklist engines, for instance, Norton, Google Safe Browsing, and Bitdefender? If yes, then you should opt-in for Sucuri Security. It will help you to move out of this security blacklist. It will be good for your business and improve your website to gain more visibility.
Sucuri Security plugin is known for its excellent security functions and unmatched support. Also, security strengthening offers complete security.
Similar to most WordPress security plugins, you will find Wordfence in both free and premium versions. Today, there have been over 2 million installs of this plugin. And this makes it one of the most coveted security tools for WordPress sites. The plugin provides advanced features that offer security from any unknown threats that generate from unidentified sources. There’s a Threat Defense Feed option, which adds to the main benefit of this tool. You can also access the scanning option for recognizing and deleting over 44,000 malware types. Some of the essential features of this plugin are:
- The Firewall that helps to save your site from the external hacking attempts.
- A live traffic function which renders real-time data concerning the traffic sources.
- The scan option that analyzes every activity and also intimates the owners concerning the threats.
In a nutshell, Wordfence provides security in multiple levels to numerous websites. It is also compatible with most WordPress plugins and themes as well. Designers and users have the scope to opt-in for the WordPress Security Learning Center, which is a useful resource that this plugin brings.
3. Hide My WP
Hide My WP is a premium WordPress plugin that comes with useful security controls. Most successful WordPress site owners have opted in for it as well. This plugin boasts of an excellence 4.5+ rating and positive user reviews. Also, as a security tool, it functions continuously to detect the old and new system and network vulnerabilities regularly. If you want to fight cybercriminals and hackers, this plugin is an essential tool to opt-in for. Some of the critical features of this tool include:
- It works very well on various websites.
- The Prevention System and Intrusion Detection help to avert most security threats and attacks.
- Users have the choice to rename or hide the permalinks, plugin names, theme names, and as well as the login URL.
One of the best features of this plugin is that it offers lifetime assistance, for which you don’t need to pay any extra amount. Also, there’s an automatic update feature that updates the plugin constantly.
4. iThemes security
This plugin is also available in both premium and free versions. You can choose the version you want based on your site and business requirement. It functions as a useful security tool that has been developed by expert developers. This plugin was earlier called the Better WP Security, and today it comes with over 30 tactics to keep a WordPress site secure. If you want to know more about this tool, you can opt-in for the video tutorials. Some of the core elements of this plugin are:
- Helps in scanning malware at various intervals.
- There is an iThemes Brute Force Attack Protection Network involved in coming up with strict strategies to stop the attacks.
- There’s two-factor authentication that helps to avert login from any corrupt sources.
- There’s the iThemes Sync feature, which helps to manage other plugins and WordPress themes from one dashboard.
The plugin is easy to download, install, and use. Some tutorials provide an in-depth view of the plugin and its pros and cons. You can opt-in for the plugin in Spanish languages as well.
You may also like: Cloudways: Is It Right For Your Site? Read Our Expert’s Opinion
5. The all in one WordPress firewall and security
It is one of the most user-friendly plugins that are free to install! Developed by Tips and Tricks HQ and provide multiple security solutions that will help to keep your site safe and sound. It gives your WordPress site an edge as far as the security aspect gets considered. Also, the developers guarantee that this plugin won’t affect the site speed in any way.
Additionally, the users can opt-in for the automatic databases for reducing data loss risks. Some of the essential features of this plugin are:
- There is a login lockdown feature that keeps your website secure from all kinds of login attacks.
- You can opt-in for the Strength Meter Gauge that suggests the security score.
- Your security levels get classified as advanced, intermediate, and basic.
The other significant advantage of this plugin is that it gets updated regularly for averting any mistakes that might occur in the plugin functionality. It also offers a comprehensive security solution that comprises user security, database security, and firewall setup. Hence, if you wish to keep your WordPress site secure from sudden and tricky attacks, you need to opt-in for this plugin. You can ask an expert before you use the plugin so that you can reap the benefits better.
6. Google Authenticator
It is yet another essential plugin that your WordPress site requires! It is a two-factor authentication feature that is useful in fighting hacking attacks. This security plugin helps to protect your website using two secure layers. Some of the critical elements of this plugin are:
- It offers a two-factor validation for most landlines and Smartphones.
- You can customize this for several users.
- The developers today provide over 15 authentication processes.
One of the best benefits of this plugin is its device identification feature! It enables a user to recall the device for any future reference. Also, the plugin supports Soft Token, Push Notifications, and QR Code scanning as well.
7. Bulletproof Security
You can never know the types of attacks that the cybercriminals are planning! Hence, you need a plugin that can secure your site against many such attacks. And this is where the Bulletproof Security plugin comes to good use. This plugin claim to offer security against 1,00,000 and more security attacks. Naturally, the plugin comes equipped with multiple functions to provide a safe platform for useful website function. There are a few tutorial videos available as well. Hence, WordPress users can understand the finer nuances of this plugin, referring to the videos. Some of the essential features are:
- The One-Click Setup Wizard ensures that you can install the plugin easily.
- You can have access to the Idle Session Logout option as well.
- There is a file motor function in real-time.
- There are daily database backups that help to avert data loss of all kinds.
If you are in two minds concerning this plugin, you can check the user reviews! Most users have good things to say about this plugin. You can have access to regular updates. Also, you have access to the best features and can opt-in for both the premium and free versions.
These are some of the best WordPress plugins that will help to keep your site secure. And a secure site leads to better website functionality and visibility. Using these plugins, you can ensure that your WordPress site will garner better web traffic and stay protected from external attacks.
You may also like: